Friday 24 April 2009

Strouds Close Struggle!

A residents from Strouds Close called me concerned about the Hospital staff parking to the fore of his drive. He wanted to know why the Civil Parking Enforcement Team believed his road was in Barking and Dagenham initially and then refused to patrol his street even after he confirmed he was a Redbridge resident. I was particularly bemused when a Council receptionist did not even know about the existing Civil enforcement scheme when I called to assist?

here is the answer I got from a responsible council officer:


"I spoke with *******who recollects the conversation he had with you. Firstly, I must advise that he is a new employee, which is why he was not familiar with APCOA. However, following the conversation he had with you he researched this and realised that they were the enforcement contractor.

I have also explained to him what he would need to do should he receive a call in the future regarding a request for the enforcement of dropped kerbs and have ensured that the telephone number is made available.

Telephone numbers - during office hours the telephone number is 0208 708 3636, out of hours the number is 0208 708 5211.

I also spoke with APCOA and the person you spoke with [I think here she confused me with the original caller]. He advised me that he tried to explain why it was not possible to go out straight away to enforce the location. This being because the location was not available on the system allowing for a penalty charge notice to be issued. Therefore, it was either a location that needed adding or it was a location that could not be enforced. This of course needs to be investigated and checks made with the relevant sections of the Council.

I have made the relevant enquiries and can advise that Stroud Close is in fact registered as a private road on the council records. This being the case the council and APCOA are unable to enforce it, we can only enforce locations that are part of the public highway. These are what the records currently show."

I am going to challenge the council to adopt this road due to the significant parking burden introduced to the area following King Georges decision to introduce a Staff parking fee.

I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Its in Chadwell on the edge of Goodmayes, of course it would under Redbridge Authority, whether its a private road or not, in the ward's eyes it is up to local authority to ensure that what needs to be done is done, it is not fair for borough council tax payers, to pay money for things that are not being carried out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strouds Close is actually in Goodmayes ward on the edge of Chadwell. I ahve previously clarified this with our local Police but due to the fact that the chadwell SNT started your NHW they decided to continue supporting it. When your road was designed the Developers took on an undertaking to maintain your road. Until they have brought the road up to spec and correctly appolied for its adoption you will continye to be adopted. I have for the last 3.5 years Cahlleneged our Council Tory Cabinet to adopt all unadopted roads in the borough and will write a post on my blog tomorrow highlighting the result which is a step in the right direction. You must read it! Please also provide me with details of the original developers....?

    ReplyDelete