Wednesday 8 April 2009

Band Aid

Update 8th April 2009:

It seems that "Keep Britain Tidy Agree with Me:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/5112104/Postmen-should-be-fined-for-dropping-rubber-bands-says-Keep-Britain-Tidy.html

Please send any rubber bands on your street to my address and I will forward them onto "keep Britain Tidy after using them for our own local campaign.

I have also spoken to Redbridge Council who have agreed to send a letter to our Ilford Depot reminding them of the need to comply with our anti-litter laws and to warn of impending enforcement.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many of you may have noticed me picking up red rubber bands whilst on my deliveries. I have now picked up over 500 and have made a bouncy ball that my children and their cousins play with. They all have admired my innovative thought process and recycling of what would traditionally be regarded as waste. These bands are purportedly biodegradable and I have noticed that over a very long period of time they do start to deteriorate. However my concern is that it takes so long for this process and in the meanwhile the same bands could be used several times before they lose significant elasticity. Yet to date postmen throw them along the route of their delivery with no thought to the mess they create or the equatorial trees decimated as a consequence of their actions. Millions of pounds are wasted on rubber bands by Newspapers Companies and the Royal mail yet none of these organisations have introduced a recycling or reuse policy? I will be challenging the Royal Mail to review their existing process and also suggesting that Redbridge Council streetscene penalise post office for littering our streets.

I will report back on progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment