Sunday 21 June 2009

Valentines Park - Victorian Day

Today I was awestruck at how much effort the Valentines Mansion Organising Committee are putting into making the venue one that is interesting, stimulating and fresh for all age groups and types of people.

Today's Victorian day event was excellent I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the history of the mansion and the borough at the Redbridge Museum display. Such effort deserves recognition and I honestly hope people within the Borough will avail themselves of the opportunity available to them almost every day of the year at Ilford Library.

I include pictures of some of the interesting artifacts that they brought with them including the ceremonial key presented for an extension to the park in 1913....








.....and a copy of "A potted History of Ilford" written by the late Norman Gumby.









My youngest Daughter and I also decided to visit the Victorian Kitchens were real Victorian costumes were worn by staff, who were showing children how to make angel cakes a particular fancy from that period.






I intentionally showed a picture of Naomi watching the staff member add the wings to the cakes as she was rather messy in the mixing of the icing sugar - even when supported by me!

There was so much fun to be had and I hope that more residents attend in future- as you will miss out if you are not there!

No comments:

Post a Comment