Thursday 11 June 2009

Air Football Tournament

The Redbridge Air Football tournament today was an excellent event (The biggest of its kind in Redbridge and did not cost a penny to enter to boot!). I took part by addressing the crowds by megaphone (that's me in the center of the picture) and encouraging them to play their best, whilst also reminding them of how to enact sportsmanlike behaviour and ensuring that they continually remembered to take on board refreshment to ensure optimum performance. Eventually, I was encouraged to don my boots and assist with one of the combatant teams. This was quite a thrill at my ripe age of 34 and I believe I performed quite well noting that during the rest of that particular team's games, I was not substituted once.


I should add however, that the fact that I was continuous in the proceeding games - much of that might have been due to the fact that my extremely skinny legs, probably put off the opponents!

Air Football is a local charity that supports individuals on long term drug rehabilitation programmes. It provides support, guidance and assistance with getting lives of such victims of society - back to what we would term a sense of normality. Colm Whitty the Director has worked hard on this project and himself has suffered as a consequence of drug abuse that wrecked a very promising professional football career. He has now established this charity to put wrong a right and make a difference in the lives of others. This group deserves recognition for the sterling work they have done. Why not enter next year or the event tomorrow in Newham it is not too late and it is free to enter!


For more details on the Air Football project contact Colm Whitty or follow the link to his website:


Colm Whitty Project Co-ordinator AIR Football http://www.airfootball.co.uk/
Tel: 07962 37402107944 000823


If you don't see me in Chadwell over the next few weeks it is because my tiny shins have been shattered!

No comments:

Post a Comment