Monday 15 June 2009

Chadwell Allotments - More disaster

I have informed residents of two previous arson attacks at the allotments and yet this weekend we have now had a third? It is imperative that residents remain alert and vigilant in this area as fire is spreading to residential properties and eventually we could have a really severe incident. I fail to understand how an angle grinder was used to cut through a padlock and no-one in the vicinity heard the noise or reported anything to the statutory authorities. I can only surmise that residents thought that the use of such equipment was warranted by a professional organisation. It was not and I am hoping that residents would be willing to contact me or the local police with any information that could lead to an arrest. Here are contact details for the police - my details are littered through this blog.

Chadwell Safer Neighbourhood Team Tel: 020 8721 2562
Ilford Police Station Tel: 020 8478 3020

I have asked the Police to patrol the area more vigorously and have asked the Community safety Team to look into potential funding for more secure fencing. I will be reporting the issue at the next Area 5 Committee meeting and have asked the ASBO Team to undertake a covert investigation around the site. You will be advised of progress via this blog!

2 comments:

  1. I found your statemnt about the lack of local awareness as to the recent fires an insult.If it were not for us residents in Chadwell Heath Lane calling the Fire Brigade,Who would have?? Also your comment about the use of an angle grinder to gain access to the allotments is unfounded. When us residents reported the fire the gate was firmly padlocked.THE FIRE BRIGADE CUT THE PADLOCK TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE ALLOTMENTS!! Also had the council trimmed the top of the bushes fronting the allotments us 1st floor dwellers woud have a clear view overlooking the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met with the Police and the ASBO Team today and can confirm that you are quite right that entry to the Allottmnets was not from the front gate and was actually made from a rear garden. It would seems that I was given incorrect information from Redbridge Council and that the emergency services indeed had cut through the lock to gain entry. This letter and blog story was written when I first recived the information from the Council. I will be submitting an application to the Area 5 Committee for fencinbg of the vulnerable area and shall also be requesting that they provide a FLB Lock to the gates that can be opened by emergency services. I am sorry for any inconvenience or hurt caused.

    ReplyDelete