Friday 26 June 2009

Terrible State of affairs

I have received a further response from the Allotments Manager who has advised me of wider and more serious antisocial behaviour problems in the area of the Chadwell Allotments:

"Further to our conversation earlier, I write to confirm that the pathway, which is between the allotments and park in Barking & Dagenham had clear evidence this morning of anti social behaviour. I saw approximately 50 used beer cans or glass bottles, plus evidence of drug use. It is not for me to tell other professionals how to deal with matters such as these, but it needs to be monitored and cleaned as it is a health and safety risk.

My concern is that if these individuals are drinking and taking drugs, then they may see the huts on the allotments as a place where they can seek refuge when it rains or is cold. Once they get bored, then they probably just play with matches or not stub out cigarettes or joints and then the sheds actually go up in flames. I am just speculating, but if they are congregating in this area then they might seek access via the residents garden or over the main gate on the opposite side."

The fact that this behaviour is taking place on a border with Barking and Dagenham has led me to request a joint operation between the Chadwell Heath Safer Neighbourhood Team and our counterparts for Chadwell and both Boroughs' ASBO Teams - They have all been contacted and advised of the Situation. I intend to arrange a public meeting and will be inviting local people including the Allotment holders and Management Team to input into the programme for a solution. I will also try to initiate a Chadwell allotments Society to encourage a more cohesive approach to resolutions for allotment issues. Keep watching this space......

No comments:

Post a Comment