Saturday 11 July 2009

MP Sleaze

A few people have asked me about the event that occurred at the last Area 5 Committee Meeting. Let me clarify my position at the last meeting, I had brought my daughter with me to the rather drab occasion - she “wanted to be with daddy” and personally, having her with me was rather exhilarating and comforting. I rushed to the meeting as early as possible to ensure I booked myself in to speak at Public Forum. When speaking to the lead officer she referred me to the fact one of my issues was due to be discussed in the "Action Sheet (meaning it would be discussed late at night near the end of the meeting). No mention was made to me that my second point would also be in the Action Sheet. I advised the officer that I would be talking on other issues within the Public Forum, however, as my daughter was getting irritable and nervous - I suggested I could just add these into my presentation at the appointed time. This position seemed to have been agreed? Only when I got to the stage that I would speak did the Chairperson inform me that both items were within the Action sheet. If I had been advised of this earlier, I would have obtained my list and resolved the matter by providing the other issues at the beginning of the meeting. Chairpersons have discretion - the newly elected Labour Chair could have opted to let me speak especially when you consider that many of you were awaiting decisions on the issues to be raised!

Two other Labour Councillor's also pitched in with comments refusing to let me speak?

The whole situation seemed rather contrived and I referred to the apprehension as "Labour sleaze" - it seemed to me that I was being kept from speaking by "hook or by crook". When questioned on what I meant by sleaze I could not help but erupt in a comment regarding the recent MP expenses scandal. The Ilford Recorder chose their own slant on the story and they have every right to, however, they were not privy to all the pertinent facts.

What was strange is that the Chairman later incorrectly stopped me from talking at the Action Sheet item, within the meetings agenda? She had to apologise (claiming she forgot I had registered - even after the previous debacle), when a Council Officer explained that I had every right to speak at that point!

It was a shame my daughter had to see all the shenanigans and the blunt refusal by the Labour and Liberal cronies to let me speak, however she was not frightened and even said to me "Daddy were those people naughty- you really told them off?" I told her they were...I will let you decide for yourselves.....?

No comments:

Post a Comment