Monday 18 May 2009

Grave Road Resolution - forgive the morbid pun!

Residents of Chadwell Heath Lane and Grove Road will no doubt be pleased to hear that my petition (submitted at an Area 5 Meeting in March) and request for a junctions safety scheme for Grove Road's entrance into Chadwell Heath Lane read at last Mondays Area 5 - resulted in the discovery that Section 106 funding could have been allocated for this project from the recent Wimpey Homes "Richmond Estate" development located on Grove Road (just before the junction). Effectively this means if your incumbent Councillors been more diligent and determined, the works could have been completed years ago!

I have spoken to the Highways Team and they have agreed to pencil in a potential report for the area for the last quarter of this financial year (January-April). Unfortunatley, due to a burgeoning workload and potential reductions in staff no earlier date could be provided. Any works are dependant on a decision from the councillors on Area 5 Committee, with respect to, whether, allocated funds are allocated to this particular safety issue or to other highways maintenance for the location. A lead officer from Highways said:

"Further to our telephone conversation of this morning I can confirm that section 106 money is available for transport or highway improvements however, the agreement does not specify that it should be spent on safety measures. Also, there is Section 278 works to be carried out at the junction to improve sightlines and safety.

I cannot at this stage tell you when my team will be able to look at the junction as they are fully employed developing this and next years safety schemes and I would suggest that it is unlikely to be looked at until the last quarter of this financial year."


I will be asking our existing Chadwell councillors and the other incumbent Area 5 Councilors to confirm use of these funds for a safety scheme relevant to the junction i.e our roundabout request - at the next Area Committee 5 - Why not join me? Contact me if you would like further details!!!

I am disappointed as the issue was not reported to me earlier, had it been done so, I am sure many accidents at this junction could have been avoided. I am glad that whilst distributing my newsletters about the repairs I encouraged the highways team to complete to bollards and a kerb damaged during an accident there, that a local resident thought to approach me in order to attain a resolution for the safety of drivers exiting Grove Road.

I hope you are now all pleased with the result....? Please advise

No comments:

Post a Comment