Saturday 16 May 2009

Chadwell Dragon?

At the last Area 5 Committee Meeting Cllr Staight elected by local residents as he lives locally and hence is presumed to be locally astute - made a real boo boo!

When I asked for an illegal extension to the commercial building, late night parties and illegal working hours to be investigated by our Planning Team. He talked of illegal resident's living in the workshop behind - whilst also stating that no planning restrictions existed on working hours?

These were fallacious comments that I obviously corrected and to bring residents up to date I can confirm that the ASBO Team undertook a 1 week investigation of the activity at the site. This however, uncovered no incidents as the week before (following my report), our astute Sgt Mark Lowrie had spoken to one of the leaseholders of the 3 plots at the business location. He advised of them of the community upset and the reported binge drinking after working hours. The leaseholder has warned his staff and was aware of the incidents (he alleged he did not know about community friction). Since then the activity seems to have stopped as I have spoken to the resident who initially advised me of the concern. I have also been advised that the owner intends to convert the commercial premises to residential premises - however, no application has yet been delivered. I can confirm however, that no-one is living there at the moment and that the property is no where near suitable enough for such purposes.

Sometimes I wonder how some councillors are elected? Moreover how they come up with the fantastical stories I regularly hear? What next...the Dragon of Chadwell? Maybe the Bin areas in Quarles Park Road/Millhaven Close, Grove 1 Estate and Richmond Place were burnt down by these mythical beasts- I might ask some of our incumbent councillors....? There again, I'd better not - it might feature in their next "Focus"!

2 comments: