Wednesday 26 August 2009

Honour amongst crooks..?

When I was younger there was a widely used phrase "honour amongst crooks!" When very young I remember puzzling over its meaning and was advised that it was a phrase to indicate that even the most unscrupulous criminals will have deference for one
another (much like an unofficial pact) ensuring that they don't tread on each others "patch" or in the case of graffiti that they do not write over another artists work.

This was rather disappointing as it removed my naive (4 year old) assumption that crooks would have deference for the elderly or disabled - in a form of criminal conscience.

Nevertheless, in my youth it did seem apparent that graffiti artists would not write over another miscreants work. Yet nowadays, in this modern age when the fabric of society is peeling away under the intense pressure of media influence, broken marriages and consumerism. It would seem that even these steadfast assurances, misplaced as they may be are now being eroded as the modern youth tackle the growing pressure for self gratification and peer acknowledgement. Where am I going with this ....even I am not sure, however, I will be reporting this incident of graffiti to the general cleansing team and hope for its imminent removal.

The box is located on the corner of Charles Road/Chadwell Heath Lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment