Friday 7 August 2009

Head of Parks Police responds!

I entered the details of my recent debates (1) (2) on Park Policing on to the Redbridge I forum and it has stimulated much debate. We have even had a response returned from our Head of Parks Police - it would seem the issue is still regarded as one of little consequence....? I will persevere with my pursuit for better recognition of the problem and hope this action will stimulate better incident reporting to the appropriate bodies. Here is the response received:

"Hello, The possession of cannabis and its apparent availability is a cause for concern. The vast majority of cannabis offences only become known when a detection is made. In other words when someone is found in possession of it. It is very unusual that crimes are recorded other than by this method because there is no victim. In this regard I do not mean the person in possession. That may be another debate. I have now rechecked the figures that I have available since January 2006 to date and there have been 187 detections for possession of cannabis. Over the period of time therefore on average 1 offence per week. Statistically not very much when you compare other crimes that occur more frequently. A far more interesting figure from my point of view, as Head of Parks Police, is that of the 187 offences detected in Redbridge 185 of them have been detected since the introduction of the Parks Police. In South Park, which was where Wilson started this debate, 16 of the 17 detections have been recorded since the introduction of the Parks Police. I cannot say that they have all been by the Parks Police but I know and have the records that the majority have. If anyone has information about the use of cannabis at any location Parks or elsewhere then they could if they wish pass that to the Parks Police on 07904 640042 or 0208 554 5986. If it is not within our jurisdiction then the information will be passed to the appropriate SNT. Should anyone want to discuss this matter or any other affecting Parks then please contact me at Lynton House.Regards, Head of Service Parks Operations/Parks Police."

I feel the need to query whether the introduction of the Parks Police resulted in the increased reporting of drug crime in the park, or whether in actual fact, the Parks police was commissioned as a result of increased crime in parks including drug related offences. It would also be very interesting to know if other residents could advise me of Drug related crime in their parks in the south of Ilford, as judging by the story in this weeks "Wanstead & Woodford Guardian" the problem is rife in parks in the north and west of our borough......?

I have contacted Mike Gapes MP for Ilford South and MP Lee Scott for Ilford North regarding this issue. I received a response back from MP Lee Scott on the very same day stating:

"Dear Wilson I will ask for this to be looked into in my constituency Regards Lee"

This is commensurate with his usual very prompt and professional approach to local issues. I am yet to get a response form MP Mike Gapes. If I receive one, however, I will inform residents of its content.

No comments:

Post a Comment