Thursday 27 August 2009

All this Cracking is driving me Crazing!

The Road surface along Shepherds Close is in the my top 3 list of road surfaces requiring imminent complete reconstruction (I have already seen to fruition a campaign for Reynolds Avenue and Gresham Drive). (the image in the picture shows an example of Adopted Road that is currently not been maintained - I have instigated an inquiry)

I spent over 1 hour travelling with an officer from the Reactive Maintenance team over the length of Shepherds Close, Jarrow Road and Glendale Avenue. The visit was rather productive as the officer agreed with me that these are the 3 worst roads in Chadwell and has agreed to conduct some reactive maintenance to the areas. The images to not provide justice to the scale of the problem, however local residents will no doubt be aware. I cannot upload all the pictures I have taken, however I can advise that whilst in discussion with the officer I have finally found out, what has caused the weird, slippery, bumpy and unsightly road surface near the junction leading towards the A12 from opposite number 41. (click on image of "Crazing" to make bigger)
The surface has moved over a period of time due to the large turn and outdated concrete base (this is called "Crazing"). This is in contradiction to a commonly held belief that a river must have washed over the road and eroded the surface....heh heh! The cracks in the road are formed by movement of tar over the concrete base. This allows water to enter cavities which expands in the cold and results in cracking. Modern road constructions are built on more flexible bases.
I had to use my persuasive charm to convince the officer that this section of the Road required treatment as he was concerned that a tree root, would make repairs very temporary.



Marking out sections of the Road. You will no doubt have noticed the white labelling in specific areas.







Brittle edges to corners are a common feature of the road.

2 comments:

  1. Did you notice a permitted pavement parking sign while you were there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but I have raised this issue before and it seems that the majority of local residents are in favour of the existing ,ocal parking culture. "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

    ReplyDelete