Sunday 15 November 2009

Who is responsible...?

Click on image to enlarge

In the previous post I provided evidence of my work towards the the road repairs on Gresham Drive.

In the image above containing an article from the recent Chadwell focus you will read that a reference is made to the fact that Gary (Cllr Staight) drew the poor state of Reynolds Avenue to the Highways Team during sometime this year. The Highways team advised him that they had wanted to repair the road the previous year, however budgetary constraints limited progress. "Gary" is quite right in his report, however he has omitted the fact that I reported both Gresham Drive and Reynolds Avenue two years ago and encouraged residents to campaign with me - inclunding getting local people involved with an article in the Yellow Advertiser for the Reynolds Avenue concern. Perhaps the Focus team were just not aware of my work...? Strange though, as they always seem to be reading my blog - probably because it is full of good ideas!

Here is word for word the response received from Steve Grayer of the Highways team in response to my request on an update for the proposed repairs to Reynolds Avenue and Gresham Drive, derived from my report and visit with his officer Barry Welch (sic):

"Wilson

I refer to our telephone discussion yesterday. My team had a meeting with the contractor today on site to discuss the proposals. It was agreed that the work would be carried out in the spring (End March/April 2009) when the temperatures would be more suitable to the micro asphalt treatment.

With regards to South Road I have emailed Dave Renvoize with your request for temporary repairs, however I refer to my advice that the residents are responsible for South Road and that no decisions have yet been made by the Council as to how to tackle the adoption of its many private roads and access ways. A further report will go to Scrutiny next year on this subject.

Regards,
Steve Grayer
Group Manager Highway Engineering
Highways and Engineering Services
London Borough of Redbridge

This was received on 12th December 2008

An even older email received on the 12th October 2008 stated (well before the "This Year" quoted by "Gary"):

Dear Wilson,
my Engineer dealing with these projects is on leave and I understand that he has made arrangements with the contractor to carry out works before the end of the financial year. A date has not been firmly agreed, but I will get him to confirm on his return.

Regards,
Steve Grayer
Group Manager Highway Engineering
Highways and Engineering Services
London Borough of Redbridge

I am willing to forward any of these emails to any resident who would like to see them to confirm they relate to the roads mentioned (which can be seen in the subject field of my email).

I cannot understand why the Liberals have made reference to Hickman Road as this road was not covered in the recent works programme. I can only assume it is another error in judgement!

Wilson

2 comments: