Sunday 15 November 2009

Gresham Drive/ Reynolds Avenue

In the recent Chadwell Focus Newsletter Liberal Councillors have refuted my work towards having the Reynolds Avenue and Gresham Drive repaired.
Click on image to enlarge story

Residents of these roads will have been notified directly in writing about my work and a copy of the email below, was attached to the notification letter sent, after seeking permission from Steve Grayer from Highways:

Dear Wilson

I am sorry I did not get back to you sooner as I wanted to discuss the matter with my Network Team Leader, Barry Welch and I also wanted to have a look for myself.

My initial views are, and I agree with you, the road is scruffy. The verge and crossings which were once overlaid with a thin Fine Graded Asphalt have degraded exposing the original concrete finish. I can understand why our inspectors have only identified the small number of defects on the footway as the depth of the defective surfacing is not deep enough (20mm intervention )to warrant raising a safety repair. I note that the defects that were identified under this criteria have been treated.

Since this road was last resurfaced, which must be well over 20 years ago, materials and specifications have changed. We no longer lay Fine Graded Asphalt to such thin depths using alternative deeper construction and thicker wearing course to footways. We are currently looking at options for dealing with such roads and considering slurry seals which are alternative thin treatments that will allow us not to break up sound concrete construction to get the depths of the material in with limited threshold levels.

Our Capital Programme has been committed for this financial year, however. I have discussed this matter with Barry who has identified Gresham for future treatment and we will be putting this road forward to 2008/09 programme and this will depend on clearances from the utilities and adequate funds being made available.

With regards to Barley Lane, this has been treated in sections over a number of years and the footway strengthened and treated with a more robust material has it has suffered in the past from vehicle damage. It is also a Class B Road, a strategic link with major routes, it is a bus route, it has a school, shops and a hospital. With limited budgets available we have to target those roads with greater need and usage and network priority.

If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards,
Steve Grayer
Group Manager
Highway Engineering Engineering Function Engineering and Building Services
London Borough of Redbridge '

The email above was sent to me by Mr Grayer in March 2008. I will also post confirmations about my work in Reynolds Avenue soon

Wilson

5 comments:

  1. Is that referring to me [posted by], Wilson or the LibDems?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what exactly is wrong with challenging the content of an opposing party political leaflet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing, Weggis - provided it's done in a mature and considered way.

    ReplyDelete