Thursday 5 November 2009

Exceptional Person - just an average Joe really!

Click on images to enlarge

I was invited to attend an award ceremony at the Home Office for my work in the community. I was nominated as an "Exceptional Person" by a colleague and received my certificate at the main Home Office building at no.2 Marshams Street.
-
The certificate was presented to me by Louise Casey Director General, Neighbourhood Crime and Justice Group -who formed the Justice Seen/Justice Done Programme and particularly the Community Crime Fighter scheme -under which I received the award.
-
In the picture above you can see I cycled to both the Home Office and 10 Downing Street in an attempt to save on fuel costs and to promote the green agenda. If you look closely at the images, you can see that my skinny calves, reduced even further. If my hair looks rather tousled, it's because I had to reshape it after wearing a helmet on the long journey - me and my vanity...!
After the wonderful ceremony and reception at the Home Office Building a bus was arranged for a reception with Alan Johnson MP (Home Secretary) and Prime Minister Gordon Brown. They both thanked the 30 winners of an award and talked of future crime and justice plans.
-
After the presentations, I queried with the Home secretary the existing scheduling arrangements of Safer Neighbourhood Teams. This currently involves a morning, afternoon and evening alternating shift pattern yet most serious antisocial crimes and acquisitive crimes occur after 12:00 which is after their curfew. He has stated this matter is being looked into and I am aware that through a protracted process, it is possible for sergeants to adopt later hours, where they are willing to be flexible.
-
I also raised concerns about antisocial sports and described their impact on local communities. The Home Secretary believes that their is existing powers to deal with such situations and stated he would send me some information.
-
I was very pleased with the award and will post pictures of the event on this blog - when available.

2 comments:

  1. Did you cycle in your suit?????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,as time was restrictive my blazer was neatly folded in a bag and placed with my shoes. I did wear waterproofs just in case, however, the rain fortunately occured outside the hours of the presentations. It has been a long while since I travelled to London by cycle - but the weather was perfect as hot or warm days can become rather difficult. If you want some tips I can share them with you...?

    ReplyDelete