Monday 26 April 2010

St George's Day! Should it be a national holiday...?

Dancing a merry jig - periodic dancing from the 16th Century, wowed the crowds!
Fire breathing dragons with music and dancing was an exciting performance. Moreover the dragon was made from recycled metal!

Some people think I look better this way!

My daughter Hannah by the fire breathing dragon in Ilford Town centre this Saturday.

At first she was to frightened to go near the horrendous beast.
Waving the flag of England - I have brought my Children up to feel English not in the racist manner proposed by the BNP or in any superficial grandiloquence, but in a healthy patriotic way.
I think only my daughter and I were brave enough to wear the English St Georges Cross flag in Ilford Town centre. I hope we have encouraged others into believing this flag is our own, just as the Union flag promotes the united Kingdom of Britain.
The world cup will be upon us soon, expect Hannah and I to wear our flags quite often - on match days at least!
Hannah holding a dragon that has been slayed by St George -well me actually!
As a family we do have some fun don't you think....?
-
As far as I could see, we were the only Redbridge business to celebrate St George's Day - celebrating the famous patron saint of England. I have always been proud of my English heritage. When I complete equality questionnaires describing my nationality as British Asian it often riles me. However, I gain solace in understanding that the process is one used to collate data, which when used correctly can help to reduce inequalities.
-
Onlookers are often surprised when I drape my home with St George's Cross flags, during every England Football match. Watching these matches with my close friends and family around I feel proud of this island nation.
-
When the Pakistani Cricket team was at the pinnacle of the cricketing world, I supported England, as I am proud of my nationality. Not that I condemn British or in particular English people with former nationalities or ancestry from foreign lands, supporting teams other than England - that is their choice,. However for me there is only one team I could possibly support Engerrrrlaand!
-
Our flag has become one that many ethnic minorities are uncomfortable with, due to the improper use by far right groups. I hope in some small way, I have diluted the negative images of the flag and challenged people to reassess their perceptions of the flags purpose. One "British Asian" man and a former Newham Councillor commented on how pleased he was on seeing me wear the flag, he commented on how there is a need for more patriated ethnic minorities to accept a flag, that is theirs by right.
-
Another white couple commented on how more people should be proud of wearing the flag and took pictures of us, which they have emailed. I quite agreed with them!
-
My daughter and I were bemused by one white male, who slightly tarnished the day by faking a sound similar to the retching one undergoes when vomiting. When I questioned him on this peacefully, he laughed and walked away. I just let the incident go, and carried on enjoying the day in my usual manner - what better way to rile the oppressive instincts of the aggressor...?
-
Personally, I believe we should make St George's Day a national holiday. Redbridge Council's Leisure team impressed this weekend, with the first celebration of a much maligned important date. The only day we have a chance to celebrate Englishness, whilst promoting community cohesion and good citizenship.
-
The event had a mixture of "old and new" events including a Punch and Judy and St George puppet show, a fire breathing dragon with music and dancers, performers clad in 16th century garb, who danced in periodic style and explained about customs of the time. There were also Steel pans performances, modern dancers, an opening speech form our Mayor and much more.
-
The event was a perfect example of the cosmopolitan society we live in, with a large array of cultures that are intrinsic to the concept of modern Englishness. More of the same I say - can't wait till next year!
-
Let's hope our boys can do England proud in this years "World Cup Football" tournament!
-
"Come on England!"

No comments:

Post a Comment